23 January 2006

Watercress: The new Aquatic Plant

Yesterday at Paddy's Market I purchased a thick bunch of watercress for the tank! At $1.20!!! And I get what amounts to almost 30 bunches of aquatic plants I would buy in a fish shop! Bonus!

not only that, Watercress is edible!

Nasturtium officinale or Watercress as you and I know it as, is a European herb, according to encylopedia.com.

Chinese people use it to make a lovely soup, I remember Mum and Dad, driving us down past Claremont to a rivulet and us harvesting this stuff in the wild (well mum and dad did,
I think I was preoccupied with the swings). I think Uncle Harry and Auntie Angela was with us too... (I was THAT young).

Mum's recipe mentions that you must put the watercress in cold water and bring to boil! (otherwise it will be very bitter) then add some chopped up lean pork and a chunk of ginger, then stir some beaten egg through and there you go! Chinese Soup!!! mmm
I might make some tomorrow and put the pics up.

But if you don't have a clean pure rivulet handy you can grow it in a garden

The "Gwai Lohs" even have a festival for it, and they too make a refreshing cold soup out of it (dubious look)

No comments: